Technology Classes at the Library
Meet with a friendly computer tech to work on your computer problems, learn how to use your e-reader, tablet, or mobile phone and apply for government services. No appointments are necessary.
Pinellas County Technology Classes
- PPLC Public Libraries Computer Classes - Choose Computer Classes from the drop down menu on the left
- St. Petersburg College Lifelong Learning
- PTEC (Pinellas Technical Education Centers)
- Tampa Bay Computer Society
Digital Learn has engaging video lessons. Acquire hands on experience and get feedback and quizzes from an interactive cartoon professor.
Are you new to computers? Try these sites...
- New Computer User Tutorial: The very basics of what you're looking at from the mouse to the keyboard to your screen.
- Microsoft Digital Literacy curriculum: A structured computer basics course that awards a Digital Literacy Certificate when complete. It starts with an assessment of your skills then covers computer basics, using the Internet, using Microsoft Office and computer security and privacy.
- Wifi, Bandwidth and Speed: Wifi, bandwidth and networks explained in easy to understand terms.
- Computer Basics (GCF Learn Free): Clear and easy to follow introduction to the parts of the computer.
- Creating a strong password: Our guide to creating a safe password you can remember.
Learning to Use a Mouse
New to using the mouse, touchpad or trackball? These websites will improve your skills and build your confidence.
- Mousing Around: Basic information about the mouse
- Mousercise: Practice clicking and moving the mouse
- Draw With Your Mouse: This allows you to draw lines with your mouse or touch pad, showing you how the mouse moves and helping you gain control.
Learn to Type & Use a Keyboard
- Typing Lessons: A series of free typing lessons to improve your skills
- Treasure Dive: A game designed to improve your typing skills; different skills levels are available.
- Typing Web
All About E-Mail
- Email Basics from GCF Learn Free: Email 101 | Gmail | Beyond Email | Outlook 2003 | Outlook 2010
- Email Basics from Digital Learn: Email 101
Other Computing Skills
- Highlighting, Copying, Cutting and Pasting: Cutting and pasting used to be something you did in kindergarten. Now, it's something you can do with words and images on your computer. Here's a tutorial on how to highlight and copy text.
- Taking Screenshots: A screenshot is a picture of a screen, such as your computer screen, tablet or mobile phone. Learn to capture screenshots on several different devices.
- Digital Delight: Computing Tips from the Tampa Bay Library Consortium
- Completing Forms Online
Using Microsoft Office
- Tutorials, videos, and tips created by Microsoft: Microsoft's free training portal is good for both a comprehensive overview and for quick tips and tricks. Available for Office 2010, Office 2007 and Office for Mac 2011.
- Printable Quick Reference Guides: for all MS Office products and many other Microsoft products
- Microsoft Word Keyboard Shortcuts
Privacy and Cyber-Security
- How to Create a Secure Password That's Easy to Remember: This tip is great!
- Daring Librarian's How to Create a Super Safe Password: A comic book style guide to creating safer passwords.
- Cybersecurity from USAA Educational Foundation: Trustworthy information on cybercrime, privacy and staying safe online. We also offer these flyers in print at the library.
- Stay Safe Online: Learn about malware, spam, hacked accounts and securing your home network. Try out their tip sheets for quick pointers.
- Cyber Safety: An Interactive Guide to Staying Safe on the Internet: Designed for kids but good for all ages, this site is full of good advice on cyber bullying, identity theft and more.