- Ancestry Library Edition is an invaluable resource for genealogists and family researchers looking for census records, immigration information, passenger lists, birth, marriage, death and military records. Also includes charts and tools, plus much more. Available for in-library use only.
- AtoZDatabases is ideal for locating long-lost relatives or planning your next family reunion.
- Florida Newspaper Database is useful for searching obituaries. It contains full text articles from over 50 state and local newspapers, including Florida Trend (1985-present), Miami Herald (2000-present), Orlando Sentinel (2000-present), Tampa Bay Business Journal (1984-present), and the St Petersburg/Tampa Bay Times (1998-present).
- Pinellas County Public Records Database contains adult criminal records, civil claims records, marriage license records, mortgage foreclosures, parking tickets, probate records, real estate tax records, traffic citations, and other county records.
Clearwater Sun Collection
The Clearwater Public Library System owns the copyright to the Clearwater Sun newspaper. Digitizing the newspaper's photographs and newspaper issues is ongoing at Pinellas Memory. Issues from 1925-1989 are available on microfilm for use at the Clearwater Main Library. Please contact us using this form to request research assistance.
City Directories at the Clearwater Main Library
We maintain a popular collection of old city directories, useful for researching people and businesses over time.
Local Obituary Research
Search the St. Petersburg Times/Tampa Bay Times Archive
Other Pinellas county papers archived by Google News include the St. Petersburg Daily Times, the St. Petersburg Evening Independent, and the St. Petersburg Independent.
Please note that you cannot print from the Google News archive, although you may be able to use your computer's screen print function to grab a picture. Should you need back issues of the St. Petersburg Times/Tampa Bay Times, visit the Main Library and request access to the microfilm. You can also request reprints of specific articles directly from the newspaper.
How to Order State of Florida Birth, Marriage, and Death Certificates
The State of Florida’s Bureau of Vital Statistics partners with Vitalchek.com to provide copies of birth certificates, death certificates, marriage records and divorce records. All can be ordered from vitalchek.com. Please note that cause of death will not be indicated on the certificate unless you submit proof of your familial relationship.
Divorce records can be located in Ancestry.com's Florida, Divorce Index, 1927-2001 database (available free in the library). If the divorce was finalized in Pinellas County, you may be able to find it in the online public records search provided by Pinellas County Clerk of the Circuit Court.
General Genealogy Resources
- Wikitree is a free site committed to one global family tree with one profile for each person.
- Cyndi's List of genealogy sites on the web
- United States GenWeb
- Unknown No Longer: Virginia Slave Name Database
- The Freedmen's Bureau supervised all relief and educational activities relating to refugees and freedmen after the U.S. Civil War
- NARA databases (19th century passenger lists from Italy, Ireland Russia; military records)
- Ellis Island immigration
- Castle Garden, New York immigration before Ellis Island
- DeadFred.com, find family photos
- Access Genealogy: vast family history directories, including Native American resources
- Native Web Genealogy
- Search genealogy blogs, a great way to find cousins
- Hispanic Genealogical Society
- Genealogical Society of Hispanic America
- printable charts and forms (from Rootsweb)
U.S. Military Veterans
- Sons of the American Revolution database
- War of 1812 Pensions database
- U.S. Civil War soldiers & sailors database
- World Family Names (Public Profiler)
- World GenWeb
- German Genealogy Server
- UK Birth, Marriage, Death Index (civil registration 1837-present)
- FreeReg: UK parish registers
- UK National Archives
- Canadian Census Index
- Italian Genealogical Group
- Wie Was Wie: Dutch ancestry
- LitvakSIG: Lithuanian-Jewish ancestry
- Släktdata: Swedish genealogy research