Clearwater Sun Collection
The Clearwater Public Library System holds the copyright to the Clearwater Sun. Please contact us to request research assistance.
In-person access at the Clearwater Main Library: the newspaper's 1925-1989 run is available on microfilm; access to the Sun photograph archive (comprised of 47,000+ photographs) is available on request.
City Directories at the Clearwater Main Library
We maintain a popular collection of city directories, useful for researching people and businesses over time. A selection of this collection has been digitized and is available for searching at Archive.org.
Microfilm Holdings at the Main Library
- Clearwater Sun January 1925-May 1989
- St. Petersburg Times (now Tampa Bay Times) 1970-present
- New York Times 1930-2009
- Wall Street Journal 1968-2006
Search the St Pete Times Archive
- Search their website for articles from 1987-present.
- Search Google News archive for articles from 1870-2008.
Please note that you cannot print from the Google News archive, although you may be able to use your computer's screen print function to grab a picture. Should you need back issues of the St. Petersburg Times/Tampa Bay Times, please visit the Main Library and request access to the microfilm. You can also request reprints of specific articles directly from the newspaper.
- Heritage Village contains a dozen or so historic houses from Pinellas County, including a general store and auto body shop. It also contains the Pinellas County Historical Society archives, particularly the popular yearbook collection.
- Clearwater Historical Society & Plumb House Museum
- Pinellas County African American History Project
- Tampa Bay History Center
- Florida Heritage Trails
- Florida Memory (primary sources)
- Pinellas Genealogy Society
- Church Records on Florida Memory Project
- State Library and Archives
- Chronicling America: Historic American Newspapers
- Other Florida History Websites
Click here to find more books on Clearwater's history