The Clearwater Public Library System sponsors online social networking including but not limited to photo- and video-sharing, blogs, tagged web sites, and other social networking sites to further its mission to meet the informational, educational, recreational, and cultural reading and viewing needs and expectations of all citizens and population groups in the community. These sites are also places for the public to share information and opinions about library-related subjects and issues.
The goals of Clearwater Public Library System-sponsored online social networking are:
- To increase the public’s knowledge of and use of library services;
- To promote the value and importance of the library system’s services among the general public;
- To educate and inform the public on various topics not necessarily related to the library’s services;
- To maintain open, professional, and responsive communications with members of the public.
PolicySocial Networking Acceptable Use
- Publicly posted information will be professional and reflect positively on the Clearwater Public Library System, its member libraries, staff, volunteers and services.
- Staff shall check facts, cite sources, present balanced views, acknowledge and correct errors, and check spelling and grammar before publishing any posts.
- Staff shall not post sensitive or proprietary library or city of Clearwater information, including private information, which can identify specific co-workers, patrons, or any other persons affiliated with the library without permission from that person or persons.
- The library does not act in place of or in the absence of a parent or guardian and is not responsible for enforcing any restrictions which a parent or guardian may place on a minor’s use of these resources.
- When posting on sites not run by the library, and acting as a library representative, staff shall identify themselves and their professional role.
- All postings by city of Clearwater staff to Clearwater Public Library System social networking sites must be done from city of Clearwater devices, except in cases of emergency weather conditions or at the direct request of the Library Director.
- The Clearwater Public Library System does not endorse or review content outside the specific pages created for the library by city staff.
Comments from the Public
- The Clearwater Public Library System welcomes comments, posts, and messages on the library’s social networking sites and respects differences of opinion. However, where moderation of comments is an available option, comments from the public may be moderated before posting by the Clearwater Public Library System-designated staff editors.
- The Clearwater Public Library System reserves the right to modify or remove postings that it deems, in its sole discretion, to be abusive, obscene, defamatory, potentially libelous, private, personal information published without consent, commercial promotions or spam, in violation of the copyright, trademark right, or other intellectual property right of any third party, or otherwise inappropriate.
- The Clearwater Public Library System reserves the right to edit or modify any submissions in response to requests for feedback or other commentary and to bar any poster from posting any subsequent messages to library social networking sites.
- The Clearwater Public Library System also reserves the right not to publish any posting or comment, or to later remove it.
- Forums, comments, and messaging may not be used for commercial purposes.
Notwithstanding the foregoing, the Clearwater Public Library System is not obligated to take any such actions and will not be responsible or liable for content posted by any subscriber in any forum, message board, or other area within the service.
By posting a comment, individuals agree to indemnify the Clearwater Public Library System, its officers and staff from and against all liabilities, judgments, damages, and costs (including attorney’s fees) incurred by any of them which arise out of or are related to the content posted by users.
Photo and video content on the Clearwater Public Library System online social networking sites is governed by a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 United States license.
The Clearwater Public Library System does not collect, maintain, or otherwise use personal information stored by any third-party site in any way other than to communicate with users on that site. The Clearwater Public Library System also reminds users that third-party web sites and social networking tools have their own privacy policies and that they should proceed accordingly.
Reviewed July 2019