Create, design, and craft to your heart's content in the Creation Studio for Arts and Design.
Attend one of our many classes and let your creativity shine. Using a variety of craft supplies provided by the Studio, you can make anything from a bracelet to a painting to a handbag.
The Creation Studio is open during classes, workshops, drop-ins and other similar events. Please see our calendar for upcoming events.
Equipment & Supplies
The Creation Studio offers many different arts and craft supplies, tools, and equipment. From paper and paints to a laser engraver and digital arts software and hardware. Below are some highlights of what's available at the Studio.
Need a sewing machine or just want to practice how to hem? Visit the Studio and use one of our Brother sewing machines.
Brother CS5055PRW Computerized Sewing Machine
- 50 Unique Built-in Sewing Stitches, Including 5 Styles of 1-step Auto-size Buttonholes
- 87 Stitch Functions
- Free Arm for Sewing Cuffs and Sleeves
- Advanced Easy Needle Threading System
- LCD Screen with Computerized Stitch Selection
- Smooth Fabric Feeding Utilizing 7-point Feed Dogs
Silhouette CAMEO 3
The Silhouette CAMEO® is the ultimate DIY machine. It uses a small blade to cut over 100 materials, including paper, cardstock, vinyl, and fabric up to 12 in. wide. Use the Silhouette for scrapbooks, stencils, paper crafts and all sorts of similar arts.
- Use the PixScan™ technology to take a photo of a printed item and have the silhouette cut around it.
- Adjust the settings to score paper to easily fold for origami and complex paper crafts.
- Design your own stencils and cut-outs with Adobe Illustrator, Inkscape, or the Silhouette's own Design Studio.
Paints and Brushes
Enjoy painting with acrylic, tempera, oil, and watercolor. A variety of brushes give you the freedom to decide how you'll creation will turn out.
A 30W laser engraver allows you to cut or etch digital designs into a variety of materials. Get creative with the precision of a laser as you create stencils, gifts, or prototype crafts for sale.
- Engraving area: 19.69 x 11.81 inches (500 x 300 mm)
- Laser Model: Rabbit Laser USA QX-30-5030
- Learn More About the Laser
- Cutting and Engraving materials:
- Bamboo, jade, marble, glass, crystal, plastic, garments, paper, leather, rubber, ceramic, hardwood, MDF, plywood, plexiglas, plastic, acrylic, and other non-metal materials.
- For detailed descriptions of laser-friendly materials please visit this website.
- Graphic format supported: BMP, JPG, GIF, HPGL, NC, PLT, DST, DXF, and AI.
- Use of the laser engraver is by appointment only. Training is required.
- Users under 16 years must be accompanied by a parent/guardian.
- No food is allowed in the Studio.
- No beverage is allowed around the laser cutter and computers.
- Beverages must be covered elsewhere in the Studio.
- The library cannot provide one-on-one instruction during Open Studio Hours.
- Proficiency in using computers is required to use electronic equipment and related software.
- Occupancy must not exceed thirty (30) people.
- Library staff reserves the right to ask anyone disruptive to leave the Studio, as per the Library Code of Conduct.
Using the Equipment, Materials, and Supplies
- No extra materials may be taken home from the Studio.
- Projects are expected to be completed in the Studio, or (if unfinished) at a later time.
- Limited supplies and materials are available during Studio Open Hours:
- Available: cardstock, markers, stickers, scissors, stamps, paper punches, Washi tape, paint, paintbrushes, and other miscellaneous items.
- NOT Available: fabric, beads, rocks, canvases, and other more expensive items.
- Sewing machine use is limited to specific “Open Sewing Hours” and scheduled sewing classes.
- Reservation is required for use of sewing machines (see section below).
- No fabric will be provided during Open Sewing Hours. Patrons must bring their own fabric.
- Laser cutter and Silhouette cutter may only be used with a library employee present.
- Equipment will be inspected as per checklist before and after each session.
- Library staff reserves the right to control the access and use of Studio equipment, materials, and supplies.
Class Registration & Procedures
- Participation in Maker Studio programs may be restricted by age, skill level, and equipment limitations; registration may be required for such programs.
- Most Creation Studio classes require registration (e.g. Drawing and Painting Classes).
- Typical Class Size: 12
- Registration opens on the first (1st) of the month for that month’s classes.
- No Show Policy: If a patron is registered for a class, but is a no show (without calling or emailing library staff in advance), they will be unable to attend any classes requiring registration the following month.
- Patrons must arrive within 15 minutes after a class or sewing session’s start time.
- After 15 minutes you are considered late: the reservation will be canceled and your spot may be given to someone on the waiting list or on stand-by.
- Patrons may reserve use of a sewing machine during Open Sewing Hours.
- Patrons using the sewing machines must have completed at least three (3) Studio Beginner Sewing classes, or be able to demonstrate sewing machine proficiency as judged by library staff.
- Sewing sessions are 1 hour in length and include any setup, production, and take down time.
- Session time will not be extended for late arrivals.
- Patrons will be required to present photo id (e.g. driver’s license, passport, school ID) which will be held by staff for the duration of their session.
- Patrons may register for classes and reserve the sewing machines online or by contacting staff:
- Reserve online | Call: 727-562-4970
- Tip: Use “sewing” as a keyword in the library’s calendar to find Open Sewing Hours.